10 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (the best you can find is well..best!), coarsely chopped
7 ounces butter salted or unsalted cut into pieces
5 large eggs at room temp.
1 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350
1. Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan* and dust it with cocoa powder, tapping out any excess.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or microwave), stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar, then whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and cover the top of the pan snugly with a sheet of foil. Put the springform pan into a larger baking pan, such as a roasting pan, and add enough hot water to the baking pan to come about halfway up to the outside of the cake pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
You'll know the cake is done when it feels just set, like quivering chocolate pudding. If you gently touch the center, your finger should come away clean.
5. Lift the cake pan from the water bath and remove the foil. Let cake cool completely on a cooling rack.
Serve thin wedges of this very rich cake at room temperature with ice cream, or whipped cream.