Sunday, July 13, 2008

Feed the world



Feed the world, originally uploaded by Rabujee.

This week NBC nightly news aired a story about a 12 year old girl named Mimi from Oregon who started a "food-raising" website for abandoned dogs and cats in shelters. Her idea was based off of the website "Freerice.com" which helps feed the hungry around the world by having the visitor play a simple word game. Each click made to guess the right word, generates grains of rice which are paid for by sponsors. Its as simple as that. Mimi's idea is similar and since its launch in April 2008 has gotten 2,106,190 pieces of kibble donated.

It got me thinking, whenever I hear/read about kids like her that take such great strides to meet their goals, I feel sorta... kinda... humbled. As in, what have I done for anyone or anything in this world? How have I helped to improve the state of millions and millions of people in need? Honestly, nothing. And its that answer which gets me scared. What if that was the answer of every single one of us who are able to help but have not taken the initiative to start something? I COULD be doing something, then why am I not? What if the roles were reversed, how sad would I be, how disappointed if I were the one in need of aid and someone out there was sitting comfortably, grimacing at my state, thinking: "Those poor people...but what can I do? I'm sure someone else has already started something somewhere for them. Oh, well... " Just some of my thoughts tonight.

Since its in its baby stages still, the website needs a lot of publicity. I'm sure NBC did well in that respect, I just thought I'd help out and pass along the story.

And maybe someone out there will find our blog, see our idea, and help us out in the same way (one day, God-willing).
So bookmark the websites, visit them everyday for a few minutes, exercise your brains and help feed people and animals in the process. It REALLY is simple, but don't just take my word, test it out for yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the confusing post and jumping from topic to topic.

2 comments:

controlled chaos said...

Thank you rayness, that was beautiful.

Farnnay said...

this is EXACTLY how ive been feeling while reading three cups of tea

great post!!!!!!