Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Teaching Do's and Don'ts

Do tell your students to refrain from saying "aint" and "finna"

Don't say "aint" when you are talking to them, otherwise they will catch you and laugh. You will also be a hypocrite. And telling them that you were "testing their listening ears" doesn't work.

Do tell your kids of important phone calls that you have to take during class so they dont randomly go home and tell their parents that their teacher was on the phone during class.

Don't have your phone out so much that even your students are able to recognize when you've gotten a new one.

Do forget every negative thing done during the day.

Don't take it home and take it out on your significant other or your siblings.

Do take breaks during the day.

Don't constantly go to your computer and check Twitter, Blogger, and Gmail.

Do yell when your kids dont follow directions.

Don't leave your door open when you do it though.

Do write down cute things your kids do and say like these:


Student:DADDY! why are you picking me up early? Are we going to that Jesus Memorial thingy stuff?
-------------------------------------------------------

Student: Ms. Attitude, I just found out that my dad is a criminal.
Me: What?
Student: Yeah he sells and makes pirated movies.
Me: Huh.
Student: And that's ILLEGAL!
------------------------------------
Me:Good Morning!

Student: Salutations, Ms. Attitude
------------------------------------------

Writing prompt: Write a letter to the president of the USA.

Student response:Dear Malcolm X
----------------------------------------------

Student:I have some sad news

Me:Ok but you're smiling.

Student:Well I'm happy.

Me:Ok.

Student:Well my news is I'm going to visit my grandma for spring break.

Me:Why is that sad news?

Student:Well....you know...... because I figured a lot of people are going to miss me.


-----------------------------

And lastly, DO teach science. Believe it or not, it's actually really, rather important.

DON'T,however, let the whole year pass, complain to your sisters and friends, ask them for help, get their help, and still wait until April to do it though.

12 comments:

supreem said...

hahaha this is awesome... i was reading this while in class! lol, it was great. I can't wait to start teaching again :)

Melanie's Randomness said...

haha I loved the "Do yell at your students" but "Don't leave the door open!". I almost wanted to be a teacher cuz seriously the stories must be amazing that kids tell!!

Jane In The Jungle said...

I love these...especially since I am my kids teacher!!

Mrs. Cullen said...

Salutations,

you didn't wait until April, you waited until March to teach Science..haha

LOL at the Malcolm X thing

sigh teaching is so cool

Margie said...

Loved this!
And I used to teach!

Margie :)

[[[ x Smiley x ]]] said...

Haha!
awesome. Thanks for these, will come in handy when I start teaching ;]

Okie said...

Thanks for sharing a fabulous and uplifting list of great advice.

Nomadic Cognition said...

hahahah "well I figured a lot of people would miss me" hhaha that was great :)

Anonymous said...

LOL this was so funny! :)

Thanks

Texan Teen said...

hahaha great post! love it!

Rabia said...

LOVE it!

Soda and Candy said...

Haha, my mum just retired from teaching and she always had adorable stories too...