Monday, March 1, 2010

Mrs. Cullen: The Illusionist


Dear Friends,

Nobody likes being misunderstood. Nobody does. Well, I don’t know why anybody would like it. Unless you are like in the FBI or something. I guess. I dunno. But I’m pretty sure my friend’s dad is in the CIA or FBI. Seriously! But obviously I will never find out. Sometimes I wonder if my friend has been forced to be my friend just so my family can be spied on. Haha. I’m so lame. But what if it was real? Probably not. That would be cool though. I think. Anyway. Back to being misunderstood.

You know what annoys me? When people think I’m not Indian. I mean- I know. How are you supposed to know that I’m Indian? I dunno. But just don’t assume I’m something else. Actually never mind. I really wouldn’t care if people thought I was ANY RACE---IF I didn’t wear a scarf on my head. But since I do wear a scarf on my head, I feel like people just automatically assume that I’m Arab. And it annoys me. YouknowwhatImean???

I dunno. I mean its 2010. I feel like people should know that not all Christians are white. Not all Buddhist are Asian. And so, not all Muslims are Arab? Is that fair enough to say? Anyway. That’s one thing that bothers me, out of the many zillion pet peeves that I have. Anyway. I came across this illusion on someone’s twitter background. Isn’t it so cool?? It seems like its moving but its not. I guess that’s why it’s called an illusion, LOL. Anyway. This illusion symbolizes my life because I..um…am not getting anywhere in life…..but everyone thinks I am? Jaykay. I just wanted to sound philosophical. But that was a fail.

Yours for the sake of Peace and Sisterhood,
Mrs. Cullen

17 comments:

C said...

Asalaamu Alaikum

If it makes you feel any better I had people yell at me to go back to Pakistan and I'm white! I've never been to Pakistan in my life! My dh is not even Pakistani. People also think I'm arab even arabs...sigh even christian arabs. Here is my convo in a restroom :christian arab blah, blah arabic me ? christian arab 'are you an arab' me 'no, are you muslim?' christian arab 'no' so we just walked away......

Farnnay said...

hahahahha

yai.

Little T said...

This country has a long way to go to understanding that. Most of it is ignorance and simple geography that they must have skipped out on as kids. Ignorance is bliss in the USA!

Nomadic Cognition said...

I love you.

Mrs. Cullen said...

I love you too=)

supreem said...

so true... if it helps, people have thought i'm afghani.... but that usually happens during the summer... when i get tanned. lol.
But honestly though, this label game is so annoying. why can't people see each other as human?

Rationality said...

Girl @@...
What’s wrong with Arabs!
I'm wondering why that really bothers you that much.
I will tell you why those people think you are Arabian. It’s not only coz you cover your head but also coz Arabs especially (WE) the Gulf countries citizens have countenance just like Indians, the big eyes, skin tone, dark black hair and the stature. That’s why people think you are Arabian, so let it go and ignore it if that bothers you, at the end we are all humans and no need to be apartheid…

Margie said...

You are a very special person and never forget that!

Margie :)

Artistic Logic said...

man i want to stare at that thing forever

controlled chaos said...

Mission: FAIL
loll

Handle it!

Chuckle said...

indian? huh? i thought your were parents were from kashmir. they are from kashmir. isn't kashmir it's own country that pakistan and india are fighting over?

i'm confused.

Mrs. Cullen said...

Chuckle: I was born there too!!

CC: Whatever! I give up. Sigh. PS: Stop typing!

Melanie's Randomness said...

Some people are very closed minded. I used to go to Bergen Community college & I swear every single race you could think of went there. I've learned to never assume somebody is something they are or are not & just take people as they come. aww sorry to hear your frustrated. *hugs* Some people yeah are just close-minded & see one thing & jump to conclusion.

Mark said...

These illusions are always fun and they illustrate how prone we are to illusions.
Why do you care what people thing or don't think you are? Does the thought of another change who you are?

Nomadic Cognition said...

Rationality- there's nothing wrong with being Arab. The problem is when people assume that all Muslim girls are Arab. The reality of the situation is that most Muslims are not Arab. The Muslim world is vast, beautiful, and composed of so many rich cultures and countries. We should appreciate all of them and not emphasize one over the other.

Mrs. Cullen said...

Yeah what Youthful Wisdom said.
And Mark--I would be lying if I said I didn't care what other people thought of me. But I wish I didn't care. However, I think its important in some ways. Being muslim, and particularly a muslim woman and wearing a scarf on my head brings attention to me. And I wouldn't want to do anything negative because many could associate it with my religion and I would not want that. Does that kinda make sense? And about being Arab. There is no problem with it. I have a lot of Arab friends. But, my religion is important to me and for me I just guess its because I want to bring awareness to religion. And such a simple thing like the fact that Islam is not a nationality but its a religion, are important to me. And its important for me that people understand that. Thats alllll. Hope I didn't bore you:)

Rationality said...

Alsalam Alikum

Youthful wisdom & Mrs. Cullen:
Excuse me I know I'm too late to reply I just did not notice your great comments.

Youthful wisdom.. I appreciate your perspective idea, true each country should have its unique style and not all Muslims are Arabs. The beautiful thing in our Islamic realm is that it has variety (many different cultures and habits) now I got your point behind getting kinda annoyed and I agree with you girl.
You know somehow I like it when I meet un Arabian Muslims I just interested in you.

Mrs. Cullen:
What I knew that it's hard to be veiled away from Islamic world cuz of people gossips and I appreciate that you all keep veiling proudly.
I wish that I can ignore people gossips as well the problem is even if we know that what people think about us is wrong and crapy we still get annoyed! *sigh*
Anyway, I’m really glad that you commented on what I said, thanks girls for your kindness.
BTW I like your blog girls each one of you has her unique way you are just sooo cute
May Allah protect you all sweeties ^^
Kind regards R