Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Makeup Bag

I published this post at around 7pm but due to some glitches, the site got a little screwed up, I think. So here's to trying again!



A practicing Muslim woman who wears hijab (head covering and modest clothing) and wears makeup can be subject to a lot of criticism from her peers and community members. Some think hijab and makeup don't fit well together. "What's the point of being so modest if you're going to wear all that makeup?" Even if "all that" is just wearing your eyeliner really thick. "It's going to attract the opposite sex and defeats the purpose of hijab don't you think???" "Why be so fake?" "What happened to being natural?" "I know I wear makeup, but at least I'm not a HIJABI wearing makeup..." And of course, the usual "Wearing makeup is HARAM!" from people who think everything is haram (impermissible), lol. In my personal opinion, I think women IN GENERAL should never wear too much makeup. Moderation is the way to go! Now with THAT being said...

I always have THE hardest time finding the right cosmetic/skincare product to use, whether it's the right shade of blush, an eyeliner that sets in dark and doesn't bleed throughout the day or finding the best makeup remover. I have tried quite a handful of products and although I'm not an expert on anything makeup related (so don't take my advice), I just wanted to share my favorite makeup items along with some tips (ok, ok....very very few tips). Enjoy!


EYELINER
My favorite type of eyeliner is liquid eyeliner but because of my slightly unsteady hands, I can never get the perfect look I have always dreamed of (the winged, thin to thick look) so I usually stick to pencil. Or I'll draw the initial line with pencil and carefully go over it with liquid.


I'm currrently using Maybelline "Line Stiletto" in Black


with Victoria's Secret "Very Sexy Eye Liner" in Black Velvet.



I was surprised at how much I loved VS's eyeliner! It's pretty
comparable to my all time most favorite favoriteeeee eyeliner:
N.Y.C. "Classic Brow and Liner Pencil"
in Jet Black.


Do you KNOW how much this eyeliner costs? ONLY $0.99! It's SUCH a steal and comes out pretty dark with the first application. It also doesn't bleed out TOO much when I use it on my bottom lid.


MASCARA

Lancome "Definicils High Definition Mascara" in Black


I only used this because my MIL got it for me and I would say it's quite good but once this ran out, I went snooping around CVS for something cheaper and more volumizing. After a half hour in the Target makeup aisle, I decided to take a risk and buy Maybelline "The Colossal Volum' Express." And guess what? It is great!! It really lengthens my eyelashes, as advertised (because of the collagen formula) without getting them clumpy.

It's a MUST TRY and only about $6.00!


LIPCOLOR
I'm a gloss typa' gal!

Since July of last year, MAC "Tinted Lipglass" in "Viva Glam V"
has become my new favorite lipgloss, or according to MAC, lipGLASS.


It pairs really well with Lancome "Color Fever Gloss" in "On Fire"
(I apply On Fire first)


Every time I wear these two together, I get a LOT of compliments...even from C.C, which always catches me off guard. She is one who doesn't wear ANY makeup and probably doesn't know much about it either BUT it's ok because we stilllllllll love her! :)


BLUSH

MAC Mineralize Blush in Grand Duo was available
for a limited time and I'm so glad I purchased it!


Because Grand Duo gives me a shimmery look (which The Husband thinks looks so silly), I decided to take a trip to the MAC counter at Macy*s today to get something more natural looking that I could wear during the day.


I ended up buying MAC Sheertone Blush in Gingerly

This is what the color Gingerly looks like on the MAC
website but in reality it has more of a pink/brown tone.


FOUNDATION
I feel foundation powder makes my skin look dry so I stick to liquid.

According to CoverGirl, I'm Soft Honey #155



And according to MAC, I'm NC#42 in Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15.

I love this product because it looks so "natural" and no one is ever able to tell I have it on!

I have to admit, once you go MAC, you never wanna go back! Hahahahahaha, ok I know I know that was very corny BUT MAC really caters to girls who have darker than beige complexions. Their makeup line is great!


MAKEUP REMOVER
I think I have tried makeup remover wipes ONCE and I thought it was a waste of money because there just wasn't ENOUGH to last me a long time.

CoverGirl Clean Makeup Remover
feels so oily and
smells like elmers glue so make sure you stay away!


A sales associate pressured me into purchasing
Lancome Micellar Cleansing Water for Face, Eyes, and Lips


It wasn't all that! It was too weak of a solution to remove any mascara and it didn't work well on my lips.

But Lancome Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover
is, in my humble opinion, the best!!



But since I'm not willing to cough up $26.00, I've found the second
best alternative: Clean and Clear Soothing Eye Makeup Remover (about $6.00)



I use it with Clean and Clear Makeup Dissolving Foaming Cleanser.


This products easily removes my mascara and I lovveeeee the foaming effect. Don'taskwhy.

And if you're really feeling lazy, you can always use Pond's Cold Cream or Vaseline to get rid of all the mess!




I definitely don't wear all these products at once. God knows I'd look like an ugly clown! I save the makeup wearing for get togethers or parties usually. Other than that, I like to wear as little as possible. For everyday use, I stick to my MAC lipgloss, mascara and just a bit of concealer under the eyes (if I feel I look tired). And the days I'm REALLY feeling good about myself, I don't wear any makeup at all! :)

Now you tell me, what's in YOUR makeup bag?

15 comments:

.:*aMbAr*:. said...

Awwww I liked what you said at the very end. I recently re-did my whole makeup bag, so I'm in the middle of trying out a LOT of products.. YAY

Misstarii said...

I'm at that stage where I'm trying to embrace the whole make up thing, am always scared I'll look weird.

Artistic Logic said...

i dont even have a makeup bag lol
im lost when it comes to makeup products since i've never owned any i just steal my sisters'

MarjnHomer said...

regarding makeup this is the ayat:

In Surat al-Nur, Allah says, "And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss". (Qur'an 24:31).

Farnnay said...

I just wear chapstick these days.

Nomadic Cognition said...

My makeup bag consists of... chapstick and kohl :)

pilgrimchick said...

Being minimal with make up is something more people should do, regardless of culture. The clown thing can really be a phenomenon...

Mrs. Cullen said...

I have that yellowish greenish mascara. I don't know why I bought it. It was $8. I'm an idiot. I'm so cheap when it comes to...well when it comes to everything except food. Sigh. I'm an idiot. Anyone wanna buy me all of the above products? Thanks.

Mrs. Cullen said...

Oh and the makeup I do own is random stuff my sister gives to me because she doesn't want it anymore. Which means it sucks. blah.

Mrs. Cullen said...

And I just got contacts so its impossible to wear makeup. I don't know how to do. I don't know if i wear my contacts first or put makeup on first. And if I take off makeup first or if I take off contacts first. Anyway. Because of that I kinda stopped wearing it. So. Yeah.

Viva La Fashion said...

i have the same foundation. too cool. :)

supreem said...

i'm not too much into make up, but when i was in syria, my cousins were like.. YOU NEED SOME MAKE UP IN YOUR LIFE... so, I only whip it out for parties... what's in there.. honestly, i'm not sure... but i go cheap for my products, and actually out of all the concealers i've ever bought the best for my skin has been wet&wild... odd huh? i've tried all those expensive ones :s but it didn't work out too well....
for more frequent (not quite daily) use, i just put on sunnah style kuhl from saudi and chapstick.
Unless I'm bored and have too much free time on my hands while waiting for my sister as she gets ready, then i experiment with random colored eyeliners and stuff like that...

Chuckle said...

Artistic logic is so annoying. I couldn't find her on FB or twitter. That's something I'd do. lol. anyway HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! heeeyyy


and i love makeup. iloveit. and i pile it on for special occasions. i dunno it makes me feel pretty.

Heckety said...

My girls all began with the panda look- lots of eyeliner rather smudged, and two of them haven't really progressed beyond that! Personally I haven't seen my make-up bag in yonks, which probably means middle daughter has swiped the contents and hidden the bag...

Anonymous said...

To Mrs. Cullen, You put your contacts on first then the make-up. When removing it you take the contacts off first then the make-up. I remember having a hard time figuring it out at first too, hope this helps! :D