Friday, February 11, 2011

If we Have God, we have everything.

Everyone goes through troubles and problems.

There are times when I feel troubled but I can't put my finger on the source of the problem. I feel crummy inside and I don't want to share my feelings with anyone in fear of gossiping or wasting time.

A long time ago I realized how important it is to look for the fault of problems in ourselves. Meaning, there are ways we can change a situation. As the old saying goes, if you're not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem. 

I am a person who used to get sad a lot. For no reason. Or because I wouldn't get over things. Alhamdulillah, thank God, that has changed.

I am also a writer. I have sudden urges to write. At those times I scramble for paper, pencil, and start writing on anything I can find. Sometimes even napkins. If I don't I will forget what I have in my mind at that exact moment. (I wonder if poets can relate?)

It also helps with meditating, figuring out emotions and for me, often helps me think of a solution. 

So on an AT&T mailed envelope I wrote:

"Dear God, 

I need your closeness right now. I need to know that you are listening to me as I call you. I am suffering inside, a disease of sadness, grief and anxiety. We have held onto your rope but sometimes we struggle. We fight for space, meaning, understanding, as well as welfare. We sacrifice. We suffice (with what we have Alhamdulillah). We fight. We argue and we stray. But only the path of patience and perseverance is close to you. 

Only true dhikr (rememberance of God). Only true asthaghfir (repentance and asking for forgivness). How shall we be.

(We) Tell ourselves the story of Absolute.  Do we think of ourselves better than others when we were all created equal? Do we not remember the punishment of the grave and the Hereafter?...When we will be judged for our actions?...When we will be brought before our Lord the Greatest Judge who only reward the streadfast. Did the Lord not say the world would be a hard place to live. 

We would have to struggle with ourselves, our wealth, and children. Did He not grant us Prophets to follow thier example? And scholars to listen to our concerns and hardships?

Did Allah (God) not tell us to seek and you shall find the answers to your heart's desires? Surely in the Rememberance of God do hearts find rest."
 
After a while I logged onto Facebook and read my hadith, or the sayings and doings of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, and I found this: 

1160. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet ((sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) kept standing (in prayer) so long that the skin of his feet would crack. I asked him: "Why do you do this, while you have been forgiven of your former and latter sins?'' He said, "Should I not be a grateful slave of Allah?'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

...The deeds of a man cannot pay for even one of the many blessings of Allah (subhana wa ta’ala), because even the smallest of Allah’s blessings and favors on us far outweigh the deeds a human can perform. So bear in mind the rights which Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) has over us.

Trials & hardships and how to deal with pain: Navaid Aziz – He Who Has No One Has Allah: http://www.halaltube.com/navaid-aziz-he-who-has-no-one-has-allah


from the group "Ahadith per Day keeps Shaytaan away: part 2!!"

And I watched the video.

(To update later)

The Update highlights from the video

Everyone feels pain. Some small pain and others big. We will feel pain on a different spectrum, but there are two results to pain:

Blessings or wrath

Sheikh Navaid Aziz said in the video, "He Who Has No One Has Allah" that the world is full of luxuries, however happiness never last for long. Even in blessings there is a trial.

What do believers say when they fall upon a trial? 

"Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return.They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. blessings, etc.) (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided-ones (2:156-157)."  

Aziz said we get tested through pain and pleasures, to either get closer to God or draw away by forgetting to thank Him and ask Him for assistance. 

Six Steps to deal with trials
1. React to the Divine Will
2. Change perspective from bad to good; trials are a means for blessings 
3. If you deal with pain sooner than later it is better and easier to get close to God. When you look for people's pity, people do not understand what you're going through. Then people tend to isolate themselves (for too long) and slack in their religious duties. However, after you take your short time alone, look for noble company and gather around believing people, it will improve your faith.
4. It's not about how you live it's about how you will be raised. How we die is how we will be raised. For example, if we love music we'll be raised with music. If you love salat, Inshallah you may be raised in salat.
5. Blessings are a trial. 
If you are patient through your trial, God rewards you for your hardships.
6. This world is not a place of eternal happiness, but Paradise is. Aim for Paradise.
Remember when you struggle, "No soul shall bear a budern greater than it can bear."

Pain becomes positive when it brings you close to God, said Aziz.

He said, Those who have no one, have God. Those who have God's pleasure, have everything.

6 comments:

controlled chaos said...

I liked the hadith a lot. mash'Allah.

Farnnay said...

Can I just say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reflections.

Anonymous said...

beautifully written, this really touched my heart, esp your little letter to Allah.

Just curious: did you mean to post this now or were you going to finish up later (like you stated)?

Thank you for this

Nargis said...

Inshallah I'll update the rest very soon...the rest were notes from the video lecture but I think you can check it out yourself.

It might mean something different to you.

Alhamdulillah I felt better.

I wanted to post something rather than nothing.

hijabi hippie hypo said...

nice post && I really like the Sh. Navaid video, was very enlightening

marjnhomer said...

i tend to do that too. write things down or else i forget what i was thinking at that exact moment.