Saturday, January 9, 2010

Stop Treating Me Like a Criminal

I'm really upset. Truly disheartened. And above all, just annoyed.

I went shopping today with my mom and sisters. They all needed boots. So we went out to some shoe stores to look around. At Famous Footwear we started looking around at tall leather boots and those Uggish type of boots. Mom even tried one on but too bad the size was too small.

Anyhow, I looked over my shoulder and there was this lady who worked there standing by our aisle with wandering eye. She looked really uncomfortable. You know when you're standing and you have no idea where to put your hands? Or where to look? And so you whip out your cell phone and start texting random people or pretend you have something important to check? Yea, well she couldn't play with her cell phone on account of her working. But pretty much she looked strangely out of place. She kept glancing over at us while mom was trying on her shoes.

Finally 10 minutes later we decided there was nothing worth buying so we left. As we were walking off the lady watched us leave and finally walked away from where we were standing...she went back to the front of the store where she was originally stocking shoes.

Seriously?? The store had her stand there to watch us? Of course. Go watch the Muslim family because who knows what they might do!

Don't get me wrong...maybe she was standing there for some other reason but honestly she wouldn't have a strong alibi.

You know what upsets me the most? I am an American and yet sometimes I feel so unwelcome in my own home, in my own land. Once when I was in middle school the day after 9/11 some guy came up to me and said, "Go back home, raghead!!"

Where the hell would you like me to go back to, huh? I was born and raised right here. This is home and there's nowhere back to go to. And whenever I have gone to visit my parents original countries I feel completely out of place. Literally.

I have a lot more on my mind about the news lately and how media corrupts minds SO easily. But instead I think I'll cool off and eat ice cream instead. Woohoo for obesity!

14 comments:

AL said...

rude

i've had that happen plenty of times
but i don't know if its a race/religion thing or they are just paranoid in general... (since it only happens in small stores)

Jaz said...

It's really rude but it happens to everyone I think, lots of my european non-muslim friends have complained about the same thing :) Don't worry

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

That sucks. When I was a teenager the Woolworths, a small store in our town, followed us around the store blatantly, whenever we went in, because you know, all teens steal. We'd keep picking up stuff and putting it down, just to annoy them.
But the ethnic profiling thing is so much worse.

Faith said...

It sucks cuz it’s something you will never get used to! But
I agree it could happen to anybody everywhere for different reasons

Liza said...

I can empathize with you on varying levels.

The most difficult part about life in Texas is the immigration issue and they way Latinos are involved. People tend to use Mexican as a slur and tell you to go back, but when you were born here and you don't feel like you're culturally part of your supposed home country, you can feel a bit displaced.

I'm sorry that happened to you. That really sucks. =(

Leo said...

This sounds a bit strange but I like the attention! I'm innocent so I don't worry. It makes me feel special.......

..........strange I know!

Farnnay said...

When I first started reading this I thought I wrote it because I went shopping with my sisters and mom for boots. lol

Mrs. Cullen said...

Sigh. I love you.

.:*aMbAr*:. said...

Oh dear, people are so damn rude. Just ignore them. Boohoo to them, losing a sale.

Anywhoo, to calories! :D

foxy said...

That just makes me sick. I'd like to apologize to you for her - and for anyone else that gives you the stink eye just because of who you are. Freaking idiots, they are.

Little T said...

I am so sorry you had to experience that. Tollerance is a lesson that this country could use a healthy dose of. The saddest part of all of that for me is that we all came here from different countries to make a better life. I love hearing about your culture, beliefs and customs. I wish more people felt that. Baby steps, I guess.

MarjnHomer said...

i once went to a meijer in allen park and the old lady didn't even greet us when me and my sisters walked in. it was summer and we were all wearing our burqas. she was a greeter. when we left she didnt say anything eiether. whatever. people are rude

Nomadic Cognition said...

Al- I think paranoia definitely plays into it... I mean just look at the local news..it's always trying to instill fear people

Jaz- really? As in Europeans living in the US have the same issues?

Maureen- That sounds so annoying. I was planning on sticking around and just trying on shoes at random but I just ended up leaving

Faith- Yea and I don't think anyone should try to get used to b/c that's just going to the propel the problem

Madame- wow it must be so hard for them!

Leo- yea that's definitely strange!

CA- lol did you guys find any good boots? We went to 5 stores and didn't find anything!

Mrs. Cullens- thanks, me too =D

Ambar- seriously! And I should really start watching my calories...

Foxy- thank you!

Little T- yea everyone came from a different country so essentially all of us or our families are immigrants in a sense. I keep thinking that just like the Irish had issues that hopefully these issues for Muslims will lessen over time.

MarjnHomer- I'm sorry that happened to you!

Anonymous said...

Racial/ethnic/religious profilers can kiss my arse. I'm a proud Muslim and I cover my hair in public. I'm fifteen, and I've noticed these things:
-Middle aged adults stare. They stare a lot. I'm legit worried about their retinas.
-Fake blonde, Abercrombie and Fitch wearing teenage girls with their Verizon Envies stuck in their overpriced Uggs also stare.
-Others really do not.
I could care less if people stare at me. In a weird way, I enjoy it. At times, I do things that cause people to stare at me. I sing Cascada's "Every time we touch" at the top of my lungs on the bus w/my friends. I burst into "Take me or leave me" from RENT in the middle of the cafeteria at my high school and do a pretty damn good job at pretending to be a lesbian. I randomly yell out quotes from RENT such as "There will always be women in rubber flirting with me! Give me a break!" Those behaviors will no doubt cause people to turn their heads. I don't mind that at all; I am an attention whore and a thespian, and my favorite moments in life are when I'm the center of attention.
However, staring as a result of racial/religious profiling is not okay. When I get *that* kind of staring, I am known to look the starer in the eye and say something like "Keep staring...I might get up onto the nearest tabletop and sing La Vie Boheme from RENT top to bottom. Along with the dance."