Growing up we were never allowed to own a cat. My dad used to say he was allergic to them so it would be an injustice to him to get one.
We found out later that he just really dislikes cats....
Anyhow, now that I'm not living at home I don't have to worry about Dad's aversion to furry little moving things. I asked the Hubster back when we were engaged what he thought about getting a cat. He totally said no because of maintenance and what not. Apparently he just wanted to surprise me later on.
Which he finally did last week! I came home at night to two little beautiful kittens running around the living room!! Ahhhhhhhh!! They're baby brothers from the Human Society..and they're oh so heartbreaking cute. And they love cuddling up next to us :)
So guess what I found out? Owning cats have tons of benefits.
- Cat owners are less likely to die of heart attack or stroke from people who don't have cats.
- They also have less stress
- And more calmness
- And a better immune system. Apparently cats are good for kids with asthma.
- Cats are fun friends to play with
- They're soft so you can cuddle and pet with them
- If the Hubster pisses you off you can go to the cats and they'll lick your nose to make you feel better
- Good practice taking care of kids before you actually have them. Actually they're better than kids because you can leave them home alone while you go to work and they don't cry.
- They can make good pillows
- Cat owners always have someone to come home too...even on the crappiest of days.
There ya have it. 10 benefits of owning a cat. Oh and if you get one adopt it from the Humane Society and make sure you don't declaw them...that's just cruel and unusual punishment for cats.