Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mrs. Cullen: The GPS

Dear Friends,

I am so. freaking. frustrated. right now. My mom, grandma and grandpa went to New York to visit my sister. They left this morning at 7 AM. The GPS stopped working while they entered Ohio. Oh never mind. Actually, thats when my mom decided to call and let us know it wasn't working. Apparently it wasn't even working when she left the house. Sigh. My mom didn't print out directions or anything; she was simply relying on the GPS. So, since then I have been on the phone with her giving her directions. On top of that, her cell phone is about to die. And shes in the middle of Ohio. Sigh. I feel really bad though cuz I was getting really frustrated with her and yelling. I almost lost my voice. Well I wasn't yelling at her, I was just yelling out the directions for some reason. I probably looked and sounded like an idiot, yelling into the phone. It was my day to sleep in. So after I woke up at 6:30 for the morning prayer, Fajr, I went back to sleep. So, I was quite frustrated when I got a phone call at 7:45. Then another one at 8. Another call at 8:20. After that I gave up on sleep and just stayed on the phone with her.

Ok. I'm not stupid. Initially I had her write down all the directions. But then she got lost. Because my dad and sister kept calling her over and over again. So she became frustrated. I told her to ignore their calls. Ok. Another thing. I rely on Google for everything (including this blog). But Google maps sucks!!!!! I was helping her with Google maps but it was causing her to go into circles. So then I switched to Yahoo maps..soo much better!!!


Oh. In case you're wondering why the stupid GPS stopped working..Well it keeps saying "Searching for GPS satellite signal." There is no way there isn't any signal anywhere. My dad thinks my mom did something to it. My mom is blaming in on the GPS brand; Tom Tom. What kind of freaking name is Tom Tom. Would you go to the store and buy a Tom Tom brand GPS or a Garmin brand GPS???? I know. I know. Garmin. It just sounds so much better. Anyway. Now shes driving on I-80E. She has to drive on this for over 500 miles. Sigh. Please pray that she makes it to Staten Island, NY. Thanks

Yours for the Sake of Peace and Sisterhood,
Mrs. Cullen

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a Tom Tom a while ago. It seems like 75% of the time I use it, it wants to turn an hour long drive into six by taking me through ridiculous back roads and side streets.

I think it must get bored and just enjoys messing with me. At least it sounds like John Cleese when it tells me to go the wrong way. That's pretty sweet.

*mary* said...

My mom uses her Garmin to drive through Ohio all the time for work, so I know the signal should pick up there. Sounds like she got a bad one. Well, I hope she gets there without too many scenic detours! (Although, Ohio is lovely this time of year!)

Farnnay said...

Omg. I cant believe your mom is driving there. I thought they were flying.

dang.

inshaAllah they get there safefly.

Artistic Logic said...

shoot =\

iA they make it without much more trouble

MarjnHomer said...

one word: mapquest

Nomadic Cognition said...

Magenta... that's the way to go.

Sarah said...

Whatever happened to road maps?

My husband annoyed the crud out of me by insisting on keeping a U.S. atlas in each car.

I've never admitted to him how handy it was.

I hope your family is safely at the destination!

provoking invoking said...

...why didn't they go through canada instead?

funny story though.. hope you feel better blogging it out!

provoking invoking said...

im old fashioned and like to look at those big folded up maps :)
it makes me feel in much more control.

even if i had GPS i wouldnt use the thing. i pride myself on gettin around! stupid pride..

.:*aMbAr*:. said...

I have a garmin and it's like OOOMMGGG soo good!


I hope she makes it alright

Anonymous said...

holy cow, how long have you guys had a new design?! i love it! i apologize for being gone so long (and i thank C.C. for TOTALLY calling me out on it. next time, don't wait so long! :o) i have no excuses for being M.I.A. but I will try to be more attentive to my blog from now on! i'll see (or, type a comment to) you guys soon!

oh, i almost forgot. i deleted by blogger blog, so here's the new link to my wordpress blog: http://amillionmilesfromeverywhere.wordpress.com

Misstarii said...

I hope they reached well and safe

Dutch Sugar Babe said...

Google maps really does suck. I hope your family has fun in New York.
Now get some sleep :)

Loredana said...

ok this is going to sound stupid but coudln't she have stopped at a gas station and gotten a map? I know they're annoying and frustrating but that's what we used before all this damn technology took over our lives!!!

Winchester Manor said...

Oh your poor Mom! I have one of those GPS things built into my car and every time I try to use it, it wants to take me to San Francisco...HELLO!

We are so reliant on technology! I sure hope your Mom makes it safely and with all of her hair intact!

Do let us know!!

Anonymous said...

Inshallah they arrived there safe and sound!!! Man your mom is sooooooo brave though mashallah.

and provoking - driving through canada would take longer, DUH. unless youre going to buffalo :)

Chuckle said...

that's so scary hopefully mama got there safely.

EmptyWords said...

road maps... hehe thats so last century... hope they arrived safe and sound

Margie said...

Hope they arrived safe and sound!

Margie:)

Organic Muslimaah said...

I get freaked out when I'm lost in my own city, I cant imagine in a city that I'm not familiar with. hopefully she arrived safe, technology can work to our advantage but sometimes to our disadvantage, they're so unreliable :(

Unknown said...

I hate MAPS! and all directions! lol which is why i never know where i am going x

LadyNansei said...

Wow, i really really love you're blog, it's so gorgeous. Oh, and dont worry, I have lots of days just like that throughout my entire life. Just look at it from a different prospective, a hectic day is a good day!