Monday, October 22, 2012

Laughing Out Loud


My friend had an exam around this time and I told her I hoped the exam is so easy that she laughs through it. I didn't want to stress her out so I didn't mention the time I actually did laugh through an exam. I thought I'd share my anecdote on here. :)

Back in med school, we had an anatomy midterm. I studied for it like crazy. Usually histology accounts for about 2 points out of 40 for the exams so I didn't focus on that. Instead, I studied the gross anatomy like the location and relation of the organ to the rest of the body, blood supply, nerve supply, venous drainage, function etc. Basically everything except histology.

Everything is essay format, by the way. You either know it or you don't. There's no multiple choice so there is no process of elimination. Drawing are important as well as charts and graphs. And neatness! I could never be neat on my exam, there's too much to write and too little time! I had this fear of not getting everything out of my head and onto paper fast enough. Two and a half hours was never enough. And it made me feel so when I wrote 15-20 pages. I am such a nerd.

Exam day comes and as soon as we look at the exam the class just bursts out in laughter. Because every single question on the test was histology. People just stood up and handed the professor a single sheet of paper with their names and ID numbers on it. Some wrote down the questions over and over in nice handwriting. I made up stuff and walked out early. Most of the class walked out soon after the test started. Some sat in their seats doing nothing until time was up.

I miss med school. 

No comments: